P.I.E. Meeting Minutes

Monday, January 9th, 2017 6:30 p.m.

In Attendance:  Mrs. Durga, Ms. Welter, Carrie L, Gina G, Ann T., Barb W., Matt M., Keri Johnson, Jolene S., Tim Z.
Secretary Report: Minutes presented and briefly discussed.  No concerns
Treasury Report: The treasury report was reviewed.  Did pay for playground equipment.
Principal Report:  Keri had little to report.  Getting back into the switch of routine after the Christmas break.  Still lots of students out of school due to illness.  Discussed playground equipment and how the new merry go round is proving to be much safer and the kids seem to enjoy.  Discussed changing the fencing by the playground/parking lot.  Currently not safe.  The health/safety committee is working on a solution with that.
Old Business:
Book Fair:  the library received the stools/chairs/rug from scholastic dollars.  Kids really enjoy the stools to sit on during reading/library time.  Currently still have approximately $2560 of scholastic dollars to spend on needed supplies for the school.  Will ask the library aide for possible needs in the library area.  Next book fair is Feb 1st to 8th.  Will be open to buy books on preview day (Feb 1st) and will be open during conferences (Feb 6th and 8th).  Was suggested to have poster at the high school in 6th grade area so students and parents are informed that there is a book fair at the elementary.  Carrie would also like to put the information on the Kimball school website.  She will touch base with Nancy B. and Amy S. as they are working on the school website and would be able to include this information.
Parent involvement/PIE future: Keri would like someone from PIE to come to Kindergarten round up on Feb 9th to talk to parents.  Also to hand out flyers at that time.  Continue to promote via Facebook as that appears to be a positive way to communicate with families.
Reward School car clings:  Presented the group the design from AK Graphics.  All in attendance liked the design.  Plan to let AK Graphics know to make 250 clings for families of elementary students.  Plan to put in Friday folders or send home with students once clings received.  Each family should get one.
New business:
6th grade communication/needs from PIE:  Discussion occurred.  6th grade teachers sent committee member an email stating that they appreciate PIE reaching out but at this time don’t feel they need anything from the PIE group and feel things are going very well over at the high school.  The 6th grade teachers are not interested in being a part of the AR store this year.   Keri suggested sending out a parent survey to 6th grade parents just to see areas of concern and how to improve on things coming into the next year.   
Used book sale: Barb is getting information from Sue regarding the used book sale.  Letters will be sent out end of February or beginning of March to start collecting books from students.  Andrea & her class will again help collect and sort books.  This event really would not be possible without all of her hard work in organizing.  Barb will book the experience room in mid-March for the used book sale.   
Other: Spring raffle will be around mid-March.  Will start asking for basket donation in Feb/March as well.
Tim Zipoy from school board was in attendance.  He thanked the group for all they do for the elementary school.  Invited PIE to be part of the school board meetings and suggested to be added to school board agenda quarterly.  Suggested to continue to promote PIE and bridge communication. 
Meeting adjourned at about 7:45pm