Minutes

Kimball Partners In Education (PIE) Minutes

November 13, 2017

The meeting was called to order by Marion at 6:30 P.M.

In attendance

Beth P., Marion L., Amanda,  Michelle C., Teresa L., Erin D., Keri J., Jennifer L., Jen C.

Approval of Minutes

Minutes were approved as is.

Board

President: Marion Larson; Secretary: Erin Durga; Treasurer: Kathy Alrich

Old Business

A motion was put forth by Teresa L. to donate $750 for Emma Hohulin to purchase 15 ukuleles for use with the fifth grade class.  The motion was seconded by Michelle C. and was voted on unanimously by the group.

Budget

Current balance: $7,368.10 .  There is still an unknown amount needing to be sent out to scholastic for the book fair.  Kathy has purchased a garbage can for the recycling of markers, it is currently located in the office.  A motion was made by Jennifer L. and seconded by Michelle C. to donate $50 toward replacing a broken frame for grade level art. 

Principal’s Report

Mrs. Johnson brought forth a few items of business

  • Nancy Bonnifield is requesting PIE assistance to bring in Critters and Company for a program about bullying.  The two options were to spend $200 to support a K-4 program or $500 to include all students.  After much deliberation, and considering that 5th grade does the D.A.R.E. program which addresses bullying,  Marion L. put forth a motion for us to donate $200 toward Critters and Company.  The motion was seconded by Teresa L. and passed by the group
  • The walk-a-thon was a success bringing in $5,716 to go toward classroom furniture.  This year’s funds went toward fulfilling requests that were made last year.  A needs assessment will be done before next school year to determine what needs to be purchased in future years.
  • A question was posed about why the music program has moved to the high school. The explanation is that it was needed for the extra parking and seating.  We had standing room only and parents spilling into the hallways even when we split the students so that only K-3 was performing for winter and 4-6 for spring.

New Business

  • PIE Closet Extras
    • Skittles and other candy – possibility of raffle baskets or donate to booster board for concessions
    • Erin D. will do an inventory before our next meeting
  • E-mail list and information distribution
    • Possible to put more out through the facebook page
    • Teresa will create a PIE e-mail address through google
    • Sign up for an opt-in program like Remind
    • Have a sign up list at conferences in February

Committee Reports

  • Box Tops – Chair: Stephanie Kenning – Mrs. Hunt’s class won,  we have a parent from Ms. Olmscheid’s class who is counting and clipping for us each month.
  • AR Store – Chair: Marion Larson – Oriental Trading closer to AR
  • Bookfair – Chair: Jennifer Ludlow – Stephany K. was a real help and was there for all of the days, next 2 are scheduled
  • Teacher Appreciation Meal-  Chairs: Teresa Loehrer and Michelle Cook – went well $44
  • Papa Murphy’s Pizza- Chair: Whitney Hunt – We need to make sure people pick up their pizzas by 5:30.
  • Tool Boxes- Chair: Teresa Loehrer  - The new company will have someone at kindergarten round-up or send fliers.  We are switching companies because of a 30% savings with good products.  Teresa is looking iinto if the orders are only on-line or could be done by check as well.
  • Winter Wear Drive – Chair: Marion Larson – Early December date based on if we have enough clothing

Other

  • Question presented: What is our % of free and reduced lunch?  About 34%
    • Possibly package meals?
    • Free library meals?
    • Look into being able to provide school supplies through Toolbox
  • Proposed meeting dates for the rest of the year

September 11

December 11

March 12

October 9

January 8

April 9

November 13

February 12

May 14

 

Next Meeting

December 11, 2017 @ 6:30 in the Elementary School Library

Meeting ended at 7:43.